Fri, Sep 27, 8:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Photorealism

SteveCat ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 8:21 AM · edited Fri, 27 September 2024 at 6:27 AM

Now there is a certain artistic vibe to Vue that I prefer over bryce, but every once in a while I'd like to do something that looks like a photograph.  All the tutorials I have seen don't really show exactly how to get it, anybody can give me some pointers or good sites.  I was stunned by Eisbarchen's entry in the Vue 2006 competion, http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/competition/, except for the wolf, the thing looks like a photograph.  Now I only have vue esprit 5, but I assume if one knows what they are doing you don't have to have Infinite, right /wrong?  Anyway I'd really like to learn how to do this.

Thanks

Steve Cat

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 9:35 AM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1562059548/104-4412507-3961516?v=glance&n=283155

90% of photorealism goes into textures and light. If you want to seriously go into photorealism in any 3D application, I suggest you invest in some books about texturing and lighting. Start with this one - it has become my bible for a long time. There are other books out there but I always come back to that one.

attileus ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 10:19 AM

You "must have" Vue5i for the GI/GR lighting; they give you the Near Photorealism Experience you looking for...lol

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 10:27 AM · edited Wed, 05 July 2006 at 10:34 AM

Vue 5 esprit already has GI/GR :)

kenmo ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 10:54 AM

Quote - 90% of photorealism goes into textures and light. If you want to seriously go into photorealism in any 3D application, I suggest you invest in some books about texturing and lighting. Start with this one - it has become my bible for a long time. There are other books out there but I always come back to that one.

Sounds like an awesome book... Is it specific to any application (ie: does the text and examples lean more to Lightwave, Bryce, or some other app)...

Thanks muchly....

Phantast ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 12:02 PM

I would make a distinction between photorealism and realism. I don't want my renders to look like photos. I want them to look like you're there. (I may fail, but that's my ideal!)

spedler ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 1:58 PM

The book agiel referred to is not specific to any particular software. There's also a second edition now, I've got it on order:-)

Steve

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 2:10 PM

The book is not specific to any application, although some features discussed in the book may not be available in Vue (such as soft area lights).

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 2:35 PM

Quote - You "must have" Vue5i for the GI/GR lighting; they give you the Near Photorealism Experience you looking for...lol

Not necessarily. Check out this image from Erka's gallery:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=608725&member

In fact, surprisingly, a number of his renderings don't use GI or GR. I wouldn't have thought it either!

-Chipp

Cheers ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 5:13 PM

As already mentioned...much has to do with lighting and texture. Look around you and see how grime and corrosion collects on objects, how light bounces...look at every detail. For example use the colour or bump map (depending on the surface) to affect the colour or intensity of highlights. Always used beveled edges (no edge is perfectly sharp), so that highlights bounce off the edge. Even though this is a big proportion of the equation, the render engine is the other and this is what gives many renders their individual signature.

Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.