Forum: Vue

Subject: Out of resources?

rainfrey opened this issue on Jul 07, 2006 · 19 posts

rainfrey posted Sat, 08 July 2006 at 5:42 AM

Thank you Bruno,

I switched off hardware OGL and am using software GL. I also switched all windows to wireframe except the main preview.

That seems to help, but it's not a satisfactory solution.

I appreciate your previous suggestions, but I cannot reduce rez on textures -- I am doing Limited Edition signed Giclee prints, 22" X 28" at 300 DPI. That requires high resolution textures. And right now, the available textures for most objects barely cut it for that size output.  Though I create some of my own textures to appropriate scale, I mostly modify existing ones. I think that's what most of us try to do instead of having to re-invent the wheel each time, n'cest pa?

But I'll tell you, it's a bit disappointing. I've been a Vuer since the first version I have pretty much first-rate equipment. I really didn't expect such poor memory management from the latest version of Vue -- really -- not after all this time.

In this case, my document is only one Poser adult, a few props, some clothes and 4 cats. IMHO, that shouldn't present such a huge challenge to the Vue render engine. It's doubly annoying because I really do enjoy using Vue for landscape and as a rendering environment.

The point is, as I'm sure you know, being creative is tough enough -- I don't want to be forced to become a hyper-techie as well. I've been a power user since the PC was invented and that's always been enough. But these kind of problems are beyond what I can deal with in the day-to-day of things. And it would be no small task for me to "switch horses" at this point, so to speak.

So I have to ask out of my own ignorance, why is it that I can work 150 MB images in Photoshop with multiple layers and undos, and no memory problems -- but Vue can't handle a 50 MB file without slowing to a crawl?

Even Poser doesn't struggle with large files -- it just won't render beyond 4096px, plus it takes all night to do it, and IMO Firefly is not nearly as good a ray tracer as Vue.

Anyway, I will check into SkinVue with more attention to detail. Thanks for the suggestion. If it can help solve this problem without destroying custom textures, I'm on it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help, Bruno.

Cheers,

R.
www.rainer.us

Come by and say "hello!"
http://rainer.us