Forum: Photography

Subject: Serious about Lenses ?

Onslow opened this issue on Jul 25, 2006 · 6 posts

TomDart posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 9:48 PM

Great link with lots of stuff to think about that I don't need...but might want. I am glad the coverage goes from lower cost to the very costly glass, giving a view for us who are not independently wealthy!

One lens mentioned is the  Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM for Olympus.  I recently got one of these for Nikon mount and love the lens. I do like the f/1.4 capability and the build and finish is quite nice, not plasticy looking at all.   I previously tested the lens with many shots of subjects which would tell me something of abberations, mostly of the spherical sort since it is a 30mm, regardless of the crop size of my images.   The lens performs quite well and in "real photos" I find a sharp image and abberations (distortion or color) are not a problem.  I got this to get close to a 50mm(35mm film) crop.  On Nikon DSLR, the crop is like that of a 45mm, close enough for me to 50mm. 

My entry in the "genre" challenge is not a great one but was part of a day field day testing the lens if someone wants a look. (Don't blame the lens for my photographic style! LOL).

Sorry, this is not a lens thread but I had to say the link is quite nice to have. Thanks.     Tom.

OOPS! I believe the genre challenge is anonymous..nevermind!