Forum: Photography

Subject: " straight & constructive comments "

tofi opened this issue on Jul 26, 2006 · 24 posts

Onslow posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 7:17 PM

We have here a free gallery...which we are using !

It's the active gallery members who shape the gallery. The gallery is used by you (a wide variety of people from beginners to pros). It never ceases to amaze me that people with a gripe about something often complain, but rarely act. The way to make the place what you want it to be is to participate more fully. not less. Which is why I applaud Michel's actions linking to images he thinks deserve a link. Positive action on an issue he wants to see action on.

Some of you will be enjoying your new-found friends and will like to say good things about each other's pics. Others will be looking for advice and want to read useful critiques. Others will be wanting to show off what they just did and feel proud. Others won't be bothered whether friends view or people critique.....................................etc etc  Use the gallery how you enjoy using it, most of the members are. It is that which will make the experience a more enjoyable one for everyone.

Some feel p'ed off that some of the friends' networks get more attention than their own pics. Some feel p'ed off that their black & white pics don't get as many views as the sunsets. Some feel annoyed when they give loads of critique and others give non. Some feel p'ed off when they give a comment and there's no reply. Some feel p'ed off when they give a critique comment and the person they critiqued doesn't like it and retaliates.

In the time I've been commenting, admittedly on far fewer images than I would like, I have had three or four people who responded negatively at my comments. I now know that they don't take critique so I would never comment on their pics again. It hasn't put me off critique and it shouldn't you. 

Next time you're feeling the gallery isn't being used for it's purpose just Stop right there, find a picture that needs help, or a person  who wants critique and use the energy on that instead. If that happens the users of the gallery and the ones who shape it up, will make it better.

OK you might say, but I might be unpopular for doing that, or people might not comment on my images, well thats what the complaint is about isn't it. You don't want empty comments, you will have taken a positive step to making the gallery more how you would like it to be.

Renderosity supplies an empty space - it is us - the people who use it that give it shape and direction. Providing it is within the TOS we all accept by joining, the only way to make it more what you want it to be, is to use more the way you want it to be.

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html