Forum: Photography

Subject: " straight & constructive comments "

tofi opened this issue on Jul 26, 2006 · 24 posts

TomDart posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 8:55 PM

Strict critique is unfortunately prone to bias from the one doing the critique. Certainly, a constructive commen on an image I post is appereciated. When it is apparent I simply do not meet the "photographic bias" of the commentator, that critique has little value.

Some who adore nature shots will comment on that and not even look at an abstract image. It works both ways. 

As or me, the comments don't matter much but I do like compliments, believing in some way the image is nice to the viewer.  The comment does't have to be critique. Some shots, as Doug said, are so wonderful to "him" or to "me" or to "you" that a simple compliment is all that is needed.  I do not highly compliment images I feel are way out of basic tech needs but the genre matters not to me...it is either done well or it is not. It is excellent or it is on the way and the poster needs to know that, too.   I will simply skip what comes across as a bad shot (out of focus, etc) and not bother.

And, just as I needed a boost more the year before last than now, a compliment even sandwiched with a suggestion for improvement is appreciated.   Encouragement to budding photos is vital to them.    

Anyway, lots of words for me to say little...maybe 1/2 cent worth. : )       TomDart.