Forum: Vue

Subject: "Nodelocked" license?

gannon opened this issue on Aug 02, 2006 · 73 posts

Salvor posted Wed, 02 August 2006 at 9:07 PM

Quote - Upgrades will be automatically node locked.

I'm not sure to understand correctly. Does this mean that as an upgrader from V5i to V6i, I will be forced to have a nodelocked V6i?

I would not mind paying a reasonable extra on the upgrade fee for the flexibility of having the software installed on my laptop, and I would like to have that option. Otherwise it seems a bit unfair that only new customers can have a floating license.

Another thing that leaves me thinking, if a floating license needs a server, does that mean that I would not be able to take my laptop away from the studio (and the server) and use V6i? If so, then it seems that the licensing scheme needs a bit of tuning. I perfectly understand the need to avoid that several users in a network run different copies of the software with just one license. But there must be also a scheme for portability. I don't think I'm the only one who somehow lives split in two cities and uses a laptop as a traveling alternative to the desktop installation (and not as part of a studio network).