Forum: Vue

Subject: Vue 6 unveiled at SIGGRAPH

agiel opened this issue on Aug 02, 2006 ยท 76 posts

thundering1 posted Wed, 02 August 2006 at 10:56 PM

Okay, Agiel, I'm pretty sure I've got this straight as far as pricing:
I currently own V5I - bought it around a year ago - so I'll be paying $300 for the upgrade.
I also have C4D 9.6 so I REALLY want xStream - so I'll be paying another $995 right?

I guess I'm just not sure, but it seems the xStream is just the "bridge" between the 2 apps, right? If it actually has V6I as the product itself, wrapped in the disguise of a plug-in, then I think I'll be saving $300.

And side note: I have NO problem forking over $1,300 for this - I already use V5I for background extensions in my product photography, and plan on doing more FX work with independent productions, so as a professional user it's a no-brainer - and STILL cheaper than many other high end apps anyway.

For hobbyists, that is a scary number, but for professionals - you'll be making that money back. E-On is very aware of this, it isn't some kind of money scam - they put the high end features in the version that costs more to reflect this (and recoup investment on the R&D of said high-end features to be used by professionals), just like any other business with multiple tier products (as far as 3D, think of Maya and XSI where you can pay $2k for the stripped down version or SEVEN GRAND to get all the features).

Could be worse, price-wise - you could be talking about upgrading your copy of Houdini...
-Lew