Forum: Vue

Subject: Vue 6 unveiled at SIGGRAPH

agiel opened this issue on Aug 02, 2006 ยท 76 posts

thundering1 posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 6:57 AM

Veritas777 - the general idea is that if you are buying their highest end product, you're more than likely going to be using it for professional results. It doesn't have to be Hollywood - it can be product or architectural visualization, illustration, game design, etc. Someone is paid to create a mesh model in Max or LW, then YOU can import it into Vue and set up the scene and generally finish the image.

They pose the price (of Infinite) aimed at professionals, and also to recoup their investment in coming up with all of the features in the first place. They won't reasonably recoup that with a $100 upgrade cost for what it took to get there. With a business, it's not only a tax writeoff, but after sometimes even ONE job it pay itself off.

Hobbyists who buy Max or Maya really throw me off for spending THAT much money on just something for fun. With products above $500 to just below the $1k mark, it gets trickier to satisfy hobbyists since it's just barely affordable - but since they're spending SO much money it's expected to have feature to compete with the likes of higher end packages. Hence, disappointment.

This isn't meant to start an argument at all - I hope you don't see it that way. For what it's intended to do in the professional world, it does so at what is considered a reasonable cost. I don't have GOBS of money to spend, but when I buy something like Vue I know I can write it off as an expendature and it will pay itself off.

And V6I looks like it'll pay itself off really fast!
-Lew