Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What are we called?

Chippsyann opened this issue on Aug 02, 2006 · 45 posts

Acadia posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 9:40 PM

I can draw and write, so I consider myself a "hobby artist" as I do it for the pleasure and not as a profession.

I also use Poser and seeing that I can't model or texture and have to use "canned" products, I still consider myself a "hobby artist".

When I make something using Poser, I put thought into it.  Which figure will I use.  Which character morphs? Which textures (one or many combined)? What clothing? What pose? What lighting (lights make or break your image)? What setting?  What do I want to convey with my image? 

I don't just take 3D models and slap other models (clothing etc) onto it.  Sometimes even the most basic of my images will take several days to make. The one with unicorns took something like 10 days  before I was happy with it.

I think that even though some people claim to have no talent for painting or drawing and only use Poser with "canned" goods, that they are selling themselves short by not considering what they do as "art".  Art is about creating and using your imagination.  If Poser allows you to do that, then you are an "artist' who just happens to use a program called "Poser" as your tool instead of brushes or charcoal and canvas.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi