Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What are we called?

Chippsyann opened this issue on Aug 02, 2006 · 45 posts

Hawkfyr posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 5:40 AM

"Fabrications'"

That' could be another accurate description as well.

However when I think of the word "Fabricate. I think of creating something with "Raw"materials.

for example...I was in the Commercial and Residential  flooring industry for a good part of my life  (25 + years and far too long IMHO)

When we did Carpet, VCT (Tile) , hardwood,Vinyl, Laminate Ceramic,etc. we considered those Finished materials, which we simply installed,and the manufacturer actually "Created" those materials. It was not unlike acquiring pieces of a puzzle,and arranging them (Installing them ) out in the field Other than cutting then to fit,we really didn't "Create"the floor,we just assembled it. (Which is an art in and of it's own if you ask any flooring mechanic)

Now...after being rather bored with my career, I went into "Industrial" installations and primarily ,we did "Resin" applications which was more durable for industrial applications This type of flooring was different,  We would take buckets of Resin, sand, mixers,grinders,and everything else out into the job location, and "Fabricate" that  floor, right out there in the field. Every job turned out different depending on the consistancy of the mix,as well and the temperature an humidity.

I say all of that to say this.

100 people could look at those floors and whether they were pre-fabricated and assembled , or "fabricated on the site. some would say it was "Art" and  others would not.

I'm trying to make a parallel with what we do here.

100 people can look at a piece  done in Poser  and again, some will call it "art" and others will call it a prefabricated assembly of several pre-made elements.

But ...I think if the same 100 people were to look at the piece done in Poser, it is likely that they would all agree that "Art or not. it is in fact and "Image" 

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”