Forum: Bryce

Subject: Bryce 6 Scoop at 3dcommune. Read it here!

Rayraz opened this issue on Aug 03, 2006 · 52 posts

PJF posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 7:33 PM

"That is rather similar to a sky isnt it?"

You are quite correct, Rayraz. I've long argued the "there is no spoon" angle with 3D apps; it's just virtual objects and virtual light in virtual combinations. That's the way I use Bryce; just a generator for any type of scene. My default opening scene is very different  to the one that comes with Bryce (i.e it's empty, with atmosphere off).

But most Bryce users, I think, rather enjoy its "real world" analogies. It's popularly regarded as a landscape program, with a terrain editor; a tree lab and a sky lab. This makes sense to non techies. And when they do lighting they head for the light lab.

For Bryce6, when users want to use the interior of a church for image based lighting they don't head for the light controls (as they would in, say, Poser6), they have to enter the sky lab - the place where they normally adjust fog, haze, stars, rainbows, clouds and other aspects of the sky. That was the basis upon which I made my observation that the sky lab is a strange place to have a lighting feature. For me, I'm perfectly happy with the IBL controls being the Sky Lab (I'd have been just as happy with them in the Light Lab, as I suspect you would have been).

And it's certainly great that Brycers finally have an option of putting something custom on the edge of the Bryce universe (the "sky dome"). That should have been there since day one.