Forum: Vue

Subject: Will Vue 6 have cel shading

estherau opened this issue on Aug 05, 2006 · 18 posts

Veritas777 posted Mon, 07 August 2006 at 5:17 PM

Heh! Don't think I'm NOT already WORKING ON THAT!... I've previously already put Olivier Vinet in touch with Nicholas Phelps- well before the SIGGRAPH show. I don't know what the out come of that conversation was- but I know Olivier did get Vue 5 Infinite shortly thereafter...  If Olivier was to get into some deal to work with E-on in beta-testing, developing, etc- NOTHING could be said anyway, of course, due to NDA's...  (The other major players at RDNA also got Vue 5 Infinite as well around the same time- and as we know- e-frontier and E-on work together on some things...)

But my above examples were NOT implying that these P6 shaders would be applied DIRECTLY to Vue scenery- what I was referring to was IMPORTING P6 scenes or animations with Olivier's shader trees already applied- and then running the animations (or rendering the scenes) in Vue 6 with a 64 bit OS for MAX Horse-Power...

Olivier's shaders actually work best with a single light source- so a specific P6 rendering stage could be set up in Vue 6 to emulate a P6 light source. As you might remember- I did some posts here around two years ago showing how to emulate the TOON look in Poser, and how to set up a "Virtual Animation Stand" in Vue to create a Cel-Shade type lighting set-up. I ALSO sent this info to E-on with some suggestions and tweaks for making it work even better...

For Piranesi type rendering EFX's - it would probably take a combination of an NPR renderer- like Carrara's very well done (but not perfect) renderer- and Olivier's shaders. Otherwise, I can already sort of get this EFX now by using multi-pass and multi-layering in Photoshop...