Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 6 no longer works after upgrade to Athlon 64

drey99 opened this issue on Aug 05, 2006 ยท 27 posts

Blackhearted posted Thu, 10 August 2006 at 7:55 AM

Quote - Too much RAM and too much processor power is never enough. While Poser6 might not be able to use the multiple CPUs, you do benefit from being able to use your computer doing something else while it is rendering, without feeling a general slowdown, as one CPU would be rendering, and the other would be doing normal everyday stuff. And I suppose that your purchasing decisions should also take in account that almost every computing-intensive program out there is being ported to 64 bits, this could also be the case with Poser, in it's 7th release. fingers crossed

ay, theres the rub.
i only have athlon 64s. my main machine is a dual core with 4 gigs of ram... and while poser doesnt make use of the second core or the extra memory, it benefits me greatly. i can have a poser render going and alt tab out to photoshop, silo, whatever and just work away like nothing is happening. also its nice to have a huge render going and tab over to your web browser, for example, and not have to wait 5 min with your computer churning away. you rarely benefit from a dual core in a single application (unless it is designed to make use of multiprocessors, like 3ds max), but they definitely have their place when you are multitasking. i never just have poser open - i usually have poser, firefox with about a dozen tabs, silo, uvmapper, photoshop, etc open.

btw - if you have more than a couple of gigs of ram then disable paging executive in windows xp. it removes the pool of system files that windows forces into your pagefile, and makes it more responsive.