Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 6 no longer works after upgrade to Athlon 64

drey99 opened this issue on Aug 05, 2006 · 27 posts

flatulent posted Fri, 11 August 2006 at 2:53 PM

I have two machines, both running 4Gb, one intel 3GHz and one AMD64 X2 4800+. The AMD64 is running XP64 -- both running 7200 RPM SATA II disks.

The "patch" (using editbin) to see the extra memory cleared up all my render failings, which occured quite frequently and no combination of render settings could fix (even with SR3). Technicaly, the single core is faster than the dual core, but I have not really seen render times faster for the single core. Looking at processor loading, the single core does not give poser 100% of the cpu clocks. The dual core gives poser very nearly 100% of the dedicated processor's clocks(49-50% useage of two processors = one processor at ~100%). I have not seen any change in render times while I am doing prep work in Photoshop or Manga Studio. This is all anecdotal as I have not actually profiled poser with either system.

BTW the patch for WinXP64 involves updating the poser executable only, with no OS hack at all. Note that 32bit apps (poser) run in a 32bit virtual space on 64bit systems. This virtual space, although pretty efficient, still takes extra CPU clocks. A single core 64bit system might render slower than a 32bit single core system, all else being equal. I suppose poser's memory limit is perhaps meaningful for 32bit systems that address a max of 4Gb RAM. It makes no sense for 64bit systems that access much more RAM.

Bottom line, I do all my poser work on my AMD running XP64 and love it, and I am itching to get more even memory.

Regarding the original problem, did you reinstall poser, or just reuse your old disk with the new mobo?

flatulent.

but fair