Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Any new Poser FEMALE figures coming?

3DNeo opened this issue on Aug 19, 2006 ยท 72 posts

R_Hatch posted Sat, 26 August 2006 at 11:30 PM

Quote - ... and if they could have used V3 textures/clothes.

Actually, no. Every figure I've seen that can wear V3 clothes looks so much like Vicki (and usually without much, if any, improvement) that I ask myself "why would someone bother to do this?". The answer is probably "because the Poser community (thinks that it) wants it", although people who ask for this type of thing in new figures are being dishonest with themselves.

Why is is this self-defeating dishonesty? Well, look what has happened to the figures released so far that wear V3 clothes...crickets chirping...

What needs to happen for any new figure(s) to really take off is more of a community effort at the beginning than anything else, and the figure(s) should NOT resemble V3/M3/etc or wear their clothes (without conversion through something like PhilC's WW, at least). They should, however, be realistic looking (like the CP figures, but with better rigging).

If all you want is a new head, there are a few of those around, and they seem to have actually done better in the long run than complete V3-clones have.

For any entirely new figures to succeed, there will need to be plenty of supporting content available at release, if not actually bundled with the figure. Look at Rikishi:

Looks like M3? no
Rigged to do gymnastics? no
Does he need to be? no
Comes with plenty of free content to give him a good start? yes
Sold like hotcakes? yes

On the other hand, look at Apollo Maximus, who sold quite well, but could have sold even more if he had been priced lower (and yes, I do know that Anton priced him that way for sound reasons). He sold as well as he did because he was a great value for the money, and was one of the few truly innovative figures. Notice he also didn't resemble any of the DAZ figures or wear their clothes.

What will have to happen is for either several merchants to collaborate on such a project for several months, or for a similar effort from modelers and figure creators within the community (either aside from the merchants, or including merchants who are willing to have the figure be free with the idea that the amount of readily available content will bring sales). All of these other one-off figures are going nowhere.