Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: attn bagginsbill - procedural bruising?

PapaBlueMarlin opened this issue on Aug 18, 2006 · 87 posts

bagginsbill posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 11:36 AM

Sigh, I just got done typing an excrutiatingly detailed reply for 45 minutes, then when I posted it Renderosity said "Error - No Global Variables" and my post was *GONE*.

So you get the short version instead.

What I said to do:

Change the ApplyBruise function definition to include your granite/noise nodes and a parameter to control them. Add a new function to make a symmetrical pair of bruises. Change your ApplyBruise call.

What you did:

Changed the definition of ApplyBruise to be the definition of ApplyBruisePair. Combined the code fot two in a way that isn't even legal python, let alone what you wanted it to do.

So I've attached a new version of the script where I made the changes correctly.  Look for "###" triple sharp comments - those are the changes. Unless you change the numeric values, it makes a pair of bruises, one on each cheek of the head.

I really think this script is a bit too complicated to be used as a learning tool for you. You're trying to be a master chef, when you should be at the salad bar :-)

You need to be 100% clear on the meaning and use of function definition, function call, parameter, and argument. Go over the "Writing Scripts - Basics" document again, with a fine tooth comb. If you want to do more than just change my numbers and colors here and there, you need to understand every word of that.

Create small tasks for yourself, then find a way to write a python function to do it. Then call the functions you make in various ways and orders, until you start thinking naturally in terms of breaking a problem down into function definitions and parameters, and a set of calls to those functions with different arguments. On top of that, you have to figure out how to accomplish your desired effects with shader nodes. That too will come with lots of practice, but if the python stuff is getting in your way, you need to fix that first.

Once you do that, you'll become super fast at working through shader tree variations.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)