Forum: Community Center

Subject: Hey, is this professional and all?

MikeJ opened this issue on Aug 12, 2006 · 59 posts

tainted_heart posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 5:39 PM

Well there's a difference between the 'otica type of thing and the product in question. That difference as 'otica is now finding out, is that they are the type of products that credit card processing companies no longer what to associate with. I suspect that issue had as much, if not more to do with Renderosity removing such products than an attempt to "Disneyfy" the site.

While I do agree that the merchant could use some lessons in creating promo images, I don't believe there was an intent to create a teenage fantasy (although I doubt many teens are sitting around fantasizing about bruised, battered, and bloody women). Part of the problem is the outfits and poses the merchant is using to display the product. Having them dressed in sexy outfits and standing in fashion design poses is certainly the wrong way to go in this instance. The other piece is that they are trying to show every available "brush" on the models. It's certainly commendable taht they want everyone to see everything that's available in the package, but maybe they could have done it a bit more subtley.

If you look at the promos in the marketplace, they are much more appropriate than the ones in the thread. I suspect part of the problem is that merchants don't have to have images approved before they post them in the showcase and there isn't anyone from the marketplace team browsing the Product Showcase Gallery or threads for appropriateness. I see that as an oversight on Renderostiy's part, not hypocrisy.

***edit to add:

Quote - I do, however, find it almost kinda disconcerting that some people would rather argue the morality or  significance of it, as opposed to the question of whether or not it's appropriate,

Well actually Mike, you gave the impression you were arguing the morality and significance of it in your first post:

Quote - Considering said site divorced itself from the "otica" sort of thing, and considering said site further sought to silence political threads in the name of trying to appear professional, I have to ask, is this OK with y'all at the helm of this place?
Is this less offensive than, say, a rant opposing terrorism, (or, equally, US politics)?

You should leave such comparisons out of your concerns. You can raise a flag about the appropriateness of the promo images just as easily without playing the hypocrisy card or bringing up censorship, the OT Forum, The Virtual Tavern, or 'otica.

It's all fun and games...
Until the flying monkeys attack!!!