Forum: Bryce

Subject: The Flying Scotsman Project

TheBryster opened this issue on Sep 02, 2006 · 719 posts

danamo posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 3:55 AM

I am very pleased, and touched,(hey, I'm ticklish there!) that Drac and the rest of the Pantheon at RenderGods have seen fit to put their support behind me. I will do my utmost to triumph over my worthy adversary. The rules of the challenge seem reasonable and straightforward. A point of clarification if you would, Your Eminence. Are we are talking about the most modern "Flying Scotsman" also known as LNER 4472, rather than the CNR No.1 you probably knew as a boy?  You know, the one that had two drivers as large as the paddlewheels on the "Great Eastern"? Also, I would presume that our final renders would be, naked,"without gloves", no postwork so to speak?

We are in luck if it's the LNER 4472 as it may be the most photographed steam locomotive in the history of the World! I spent about 10 minutes searching and found at least 45 good reference shots, and a  very helpful dimensional drawing of the locomotive and tender. If you'd some links to what I've got so far I can either send them to you, or post them.

@Brycetech-I enjoyed and employed the stuff I learned from your old web-site, just a note of thanks. I would not mind if you would like to build your own scene based on this challenge, as long as you agree that you wouldn't be eligible for the "official voting" of the challenge. You know, TheBryster and me are going at it "Mano a Mano. If you were to participate fully it would be like three duelists, at dawn, on the field of honor As it is, when judging time is due we'll probably hear remarks like,"well, lets see, that one there doesn't suck as much as this one here, and OH JEEZ! WILL YOU LOOK AT THE SCENE THAT BRYCETECH BUILT!! Sorry, sometimes I get these premonition things...I would like to rig the model I build for animation in Carrara. Maybe you could also give us advice about animating our scenes.😉