Forum: Bryce

Subject: The Flying Scotsman Project

TheBryster opened this issue on Sep 02, 2006 · 719 posts

PJF posted Thu, 07 September 2006 at 4:56 PM

Back in the days of Bryce3 / 4, I started building a Trek type starship out of Bryce booleans. Given that this thing had a detailed interior, it was incredibly complicated. The deck floors and walls all had to be boolean-carved to fit inside the boolean-carved hull, taking into account the hull thickness. Window holes had to boolean-cut into the boolean-carved hull and filled with boolean-carved window glass of the right thickness. I wanted everything to have radiused edges instead of Bryce's hard corners; so major forward planning was needed to combine torii with cylinders (etc) in a manner that facilitated booleaning. There were sometimes five or more 'layers' of booleans (booleans of booleans of booleans of booleans of booleans...) constructed to achieve the desired result. Those familiar with this type of Brycing can imagine the wire frame view.

Needless to say this project didn't proceed much more than in these wip renders (it'll still be around on an old hard disk somewhere). It wasn't nearly as difficult as it was utterly tedious, and it didn't survive my attention span. This was when my mind was able to contain more than it does now. About concurrent with this I was hardwiring and star-earthing my CD player - not something for the sane and/or faint-hearted (I finished that project and the device still works, slaughtering some £10,000+ players that we get in at work occasionally). I wouldn't go to these places nowadays!

It's a shame meatballs don't work together with b-looneans. Now that would be an awesome combination.