Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Postwork

Dryden opened this issue on Jul 13, 2006 · 20 posts

AestheticDemon posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 7:10 AM

Quote - I think you're getting too hung up on labels. 3D. 2D. It's all art, in the end - and 3D may be how something's modeled, but 2D is how it's usually displayed. Arguing seems silly. The only thing that really matters is that the end result is the best it can be, no matter what tools you employ to get there. Sure, in some specialized online galleries they might try to make the 2D-3D distinction, but in the real world an art director (or anyone that has their head screwed on straight) isn't going to reject an image because it was made with such-and-such a tool. They may reject it cause it looks bad, but that's something else all together. And an art show isn't going to toss someone out on their butt because they embedded sawdust in their acrylic to achieve a certain effect.

"by not using postwork you are limiting yourself"

That's true. Or at the very least what you can do with postwork in 10 minutes may very well take 4 hours if you're committed to modeling it, instead - and the results may be identical. Anyone can choose to stick to just 3D if they really want.... I just don't understand why they'd want to if empoying other tools could save them time and potentially improve the final image.

Erm you really don't understand do you...

I am not an artist, I am not a painter, I'm a computer tech, I do 3d because it amuses me, and I'm one of those people who's brains are wired up for 3d geometry, the people who can get a sofa up the stairs WITHOUT getting stuck half way or ripping the wallpaper off because we can figure the correct translates and rotates in our heads.

That LAME old 2D Artist excuse "it's all art in the end", used in almost every tirade against us limited 3d people, is not a valid argument, it's not all art in the end, 2d art is 2d art, 3d is 3d, just as sculpture and guache are different, or oil and acrylic, or woodcarving and pottery or any other distinction you care to name.

Care to tell a silversmith that it's easier making jewelery out of playdoh? Would you be suprised when said silversmith inserted their rubber faced mallet into some part of your body and twisted? LMAO.

You second argument, "why 'limit' yourself if you can 'save time and improve the image' with postwork". False again I'm afraid... First of all, 10mins vs 4 hours, the usual lie told ever since a professional 2d mac using corporate photosnob artist heard a 3d artist say he could do some fancy image in less time... "Well mr. VP sir, I can suck the design for the product straight out of the engineers cadcam system and start texturing it today but mr. photosnob says it would take him a week to paint it by hand..." and feared for his job.

Postwork is NOT always faster nor is it always better. Many a render has been ruined by overblown postwork.

Ultimately, I think the problem is all to do with that corporate imageslave mentality, must make corporate marketing images faster, coupled with the highly paid 2d realisation dept managers fear that these uppity 3d people might take his job away from him, a false fear because there will always be work for good 2d artists, it's easier to do text overlays on advertising copy in 2d, it's easier to crop the images and montage them into fancy page layouts etc.

But the fear is there, and the mob mentality. Look at this thread, one 3d person says "Do ps if you want but dont if you dont want to" and suddenly a whole bunch of people are whining about evil 3d 'snobs' picking on poor abused photosnob users.

Then look in the newsagents, for every magazine title on 3d, there are a dozen or so promising to teach you how to become hollywood pro graphics artists in a 4 page tutorial using the 30 day demo of photosnob on the cover disk.

So, lets talk limits? Does photosnob do raytraced reflections? Radiosity? Accurate shadows? Caustics? HDRI? Displacement? Or does it just allow you to paint in fake everything to whatever limit your 2d talents allow?

I don't make 'corporate marketing copy', I make 3D renders. If you want to do something different do so, but back up out of our faces with this 'limiting' crap, and this 'photosnob uber alles' approach.