Forum: MarketPlace Showcase

Subject: Don't leave us Poser 4 people out

BillyGoat opened this issue on Sep 07, 2006 ยท 45 posts

XFX3d posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 3:16 PM

Quote - let poser 4 go. it is obsolete.

No, Poser Artist still very much sells.

Quote - where do you get 60%?

Privately run survey about 5 months ago put P6 use at around 20%, P5 use at around 20%, and P4/ProPack/Poser Artist at around 60%.

This survey was a little more specific than the average survey. See, most surveys that have been run leave it at 'What's the highest version of Poser that you have?' This is a misleading figure. You don't even want to [i]ask[/i] what the highest version of Poser I have is. But what do I use on a regular basis? Metacreations Poser 4.03.

Why? Simple. All versions of Poser that I have seen and used and can talk about are unstable to some extent somewhere. Load too many things into P5, boom. Crash. Twist the abdomen exactly n degrees and get the weird geometry crack-out in P6, then try to render the geometry crack-out, boom. Crash. It's expected that no piece of software can handle every possible circumstance it faces.

But Poser 4 seems to crash for me less than other versions, so I prefer it. It also seems to run faster, so I prefer it. Seeing as in P5 and later versions I can load the same runtime l there's no reason to worry about having more than one installed at a time. Seeing as I can share my Runtime out over my LAN to myself and mount it on the Mac, I can even load the P4 runtime on the PC in P6 on the Mac.

And as long as I save every single time I make a JP adjustment just in case the joint editor freezes up -- an issue which seems to affect all of the releases of Poser -- I'm pretty safe. The only drawback's deleting those geometry RSRs.

I'm the asshole. You wanna be a shit? You gotta go through ME.