Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Trying to make a render look painted

Fracture opened this issue on Sep 11, 2006 · 10 posts

Nolita posted Tue, 12 September 2006 at 7:28 AM

IMHO filters look like filters.  I used to get good results by taking low res photos, importing them into paintshop pro on a larger canvas and going at them with the smudge tool and airbrush.  Can't remember just what every tool in paintshop pro's called, but there's definitely one for smudging and one airbrush, and those are what I used.

If possible select around the figure and invert so background is selected, "paint" that, then invert again and "paint" the figure.  Then go back and touch up w/o selection(so u don't get the weird selection halo thing).  Use airbrush to gently add highlights and blushing and you're done.  That's the lickity split way to make it look painted, without making it just look filtered.

Follow the contours of the figure and props(angles if there's a cabinet or something else hard edged, and so forth).  Random strokes will look like u just used random strokes or a filter, but it looks much nicer if you use short strokes following the contours.  You can use airbrush some more(forgot to say set opacity low so it's nice and sheer), to intinsify shadows with a nice cool color like purple or blue, you'll find and choose which one works best for u.

Of course u can go ahead and use a filter, just saying there's more than just filters.  Also, if u get bored u can download the free version of artrage at http://artrage.com and mess around with it's "cloning tools"(u would just use tracing paper, and fiddle around with settings till u get what u like, and then let the colors pick automatically according to image).  I explained that poorly cuz I don't have ArtRage open, but if you download it you'll almost instantly get what I mean.  You still have to goof around and figure out what will work best for u though. :)

GL