Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 4 - the best app ever made

BillyGoat opened this issue on Sep 07, 2006 · 77 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 12 September 2006 at 12:52 PM

Quote - Andi3d - xeno.....japanese handtools and american cars? phooey....should have bought German in both instances  ;) 

Hi Andi --

It wasn't me that claimed to be the Japanese hand tool owner -- that was nomuse. 😉  Frankly, I don't even look at the "made in _____" labels on products.  If I like something and the price is right -- then the location where it was made is meaningless to me.

I've never owned a German car.  But I did own an English car -- in fact it was my first.  An MGB GT (the old hardtop version of the MG).  It was a true "garage car"; that is, it spent about every other weekend sitting in the garage being repaired.  The word at the time was that "MG" stood for "Mechanical Gunk"........and there was also that old joke about Lucas (the British automotive electrical manufacturer/supplier) being "the Father of Darkness".  That old MG was a beautiful British racing green -- and it attracted attention.  But man, oh man was it a hassle to deal with.  The latest Mini Cooper looks to be a whole different animal from the old British cars, quality wise.

My current vehicles are one American (a Ford truck), and one Japanese.  Like I said, I just buy what I like, and whatever looks to be the best deal for the intended purpose.  I'm afraid that my days of purchasing MG's are over.

@ lmckenzie -- I believe that you hit the matter dead-on with your statement about P4 hitting the sweet spot.  Kind of like with AutoCAD 14 -- which many users still recall as being their favorite version of AutoCAD, ever -- even though it's now several versions old.  The new AutoCAD software is far more powerful -- but it's also much tougher to learn to use well.  It's far, far more detailed & nuanced.  Which is probably at least a part of the reason why some would like to return to AutoCAD 14.  And that (coupled with price) is at least a part of the reason why they sell AutoCAD LT (read: Poser Artist).

MS Paint is much easier to learn and to use than Adobe Photoshop CS2 is.  But you can do an awful lot more in Photoshop.  So I won't be taking up the cause of advocating MS Paint as a good alternative to Photoshop.

Nor will I recommend that users stick with an old version of Poser over the latest version.  Even though the latest version is harder to learn how to use.

Quote - lmckenzie -- Poser 4 may be improved on but never really equalled.

Well.....I wouldn't say "never" -- in my experience, 'never' is a dangerous word.  But P4 was definitely revolutionary in its own way -- for it's time.

Quote - shaft73 - P6 is based on old technology

And what does that say about P4?

Something To Do At 3:00AM