Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 4 - the best app ever made

BillyGoat opened this issue on Sep 07, 2006 · 77 posts

Tyger_purr posted Tue, 12 September 2006 at 5:45 PM

Quote - (back on topic, just for a moment OK?)

I did a search for "uncanny valley", and although it has been mentioned a few times on the site nothing showed up in the Poser forums.

For those not familiar with the idea a quick search should explain all, but in principle it goes like this...

With the advance of digital soft / hardware it has become possible to generate images that look very like humans. Problem is that the closer you get to realism, they seem worse instead of better - until someday you finally climb up the other side of the "valley" and have an acceptable photorealistic image.

So those folks using Poser 4 are standing safely on the "non-realistic" side of the valley, and those who push Poser 5/6 to it's limits can often just find themselves slap bang in the middle of the "valley". Which in it's "uncanny" way makes P4 better than P6 - because all of the new bell's and whistles don't ensure a more pleasing result.
Until the node magicians can turn out an all-purpose all-lighting procedural skin (and all the rest) the climb up the far side still goes on.

Now maybe Poser 7 will be the "killer" app that turns things around - though I'm not betting on that.

interesting concept but that doesnt make P4 better than p6.

p6 has the p4 render engine

p6 has a simple materials tab that (from what i am told) is very similar to p4

P6 does not make you produce photorealistic image.

there is nothing in p6 that forces you to cross the valley.

People who use p4 are chained to the unrealistic side of the valley

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries