Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Which programs to use?

AlLewis opened this issue on Sep 13, 2006 · 34 posts

DarkEdge posted Wed, 13 September 2006 at 9:16 PM

hi al and welcome!

it will really depend on what you want to do and/or how much you want to create or just use what's out there. i too am a traditional artist (though music sidetracked me for 20 years, silly guitar players) i got back into about a year ago...and am loving it again.

this is just my opinion, okay? photoshop is essential (though most imaging programs do the same thing) for "many" things, painting, textures, effects, postwork, ect.

i literally stumbled upon poser but have found it very resourceful and addicting. being able to set a scene and get the killer camera views/renders is perfect. there is a great deal of content out there already for poser characters...both free and for sale. but poser is a must. you will have a small learning curve in regards to rendering and textures and such...but there is such a wealth of information/tutorials out there that makes this easier for you.

next would be a 3d modeling program. you can search the archives for threads in regards to this...there are free and for sale programs. the modeling will allow you to create what you need and/or see in your head. the modeling will be somewhat of a learning curve for you but it is obtainable. i use 3d modeling all the time now. yes there is a lot of 3d stuff out there for free but there's nothing like getting exactly what you want and making it yourself.

and finally the landscape...vue would be my choice. bryce and terragen are other choices to consider. i am amazed at what peps do with terragen...amazing.

or...you can just use poser as a template and paint right over the top of your render and go for it with your imaging program. i would definately encourage you to purchase a tablet too...best thing i have done.

i hope this helps and good luck!

Comitted to excellence through art.