Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DAZ Studio to Poser 5 Conversion

shg0816 opened this issue on Sep 14, 2006 · 59 posts

Netherworks posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 1:29 PM

Well, I don't fancy this concept of free.  This is a "pay-for" scenario.  The developer pays $1000 (let's just round up and be done with it) and then is re-imbursed if a certain quota is met.  That doesn't sound like the "free" I am familiar with.

From what I calculated, it takes a little over $60 to get the basic D/S plugins.  Approx $118 with Pantomine and Hand Grip.  Approx $171 adding Poseworks plugins (which are very nice BTW) and up to approx  $271 if you feel you need the FBX plugin.

I can only speculate that the rigging tools might run from $20-30 retail, from what D-Form is priced at.

Personally, I like DAZ Studio.  However, I like Poser (6) much more.  I think it's a real shame that there is a big dividing line now between Studio users and Poser users.  But from the nature of the thing we all saw this coming.  I have made a noble (?) effort to try and get my products to work in Studio for those users.

I just hope that DAZ will continue to make strides in getting more Poser compatibility in there (Scaling, Joint System) to facilitate the users wishing to incorporate Poser content.  JCM controls were fixed when it seemed hopeless at one point, so I feel it's possible.  There's only so much I can do as a content creator. ;)

I think the rigging tools will be a boon, but frankly I don't see me re-rigging a hundred products (or whathaveyou) to work natively in DAZ Studio.  However, if there is a way for end users to re-distribute the rigs without passing along the .obj or texture files, I'd welcome anyone who'd like to re-rig my content for DAZ Studio and I'd be glad to host it, to boot.

Anyways, afternoon to all of you and I was glad to be a part of the discussion :)