Forum: Photography

Subject: Rule of Thirds

DJB opened this issue on Sep 25, 2006 · 31 posts

cryptojoe posted Tue, 26 September 2006 at 5:28 AM

I like it just the way it is Doug.

The building is not the center of your subject, the jutting of land is. It takes up slightly more than two thirds of the center row. Not exactly, just approximate.

Rules, shmules. Who cares? Besides, isn't it more of a general guideline than a rule? Sure, I'd like to follow all the golden rules, "Do unto other," for instance. But if one were to do that, you'd give everything you have to beggars and next week be in the street with them. Hence other rules often apply as well and over rule the rules. Such as, "If I give a man a fish today, tomorrow he will be hungry again. But if I teach a man to fish, he can provide for a family all his days..."

Einstein broke almost all the rules and look where it got him? Like someone else I know, he flunked algebra twice! The rules did not make sense to him, so he made his own, which, later lead to quantum mechanics, even though he disagreed with the premise altogether, because for him, the science of mathematics must be perfect. Even Einstein had the flaw of rigidity in that sense. He believed in God and set about to prove his existence mathematically, and that the universe must be perfect, but forgot that at the end of each day in Genesis, it ends with "...and God said it was good." Note: Good is not perfect, otherwise there would be an absolute solution for Pi !!!

What does this sort of philosophy have to do with the art of photography? Simply put, nothing is perfect, yet everything has the potential for beauty. If we divide a persons face with a vertical line through the center of the nose, we will notice that the face is not symmetrical. If it were, it wouldn't look right. If there is no true symmetry in nature, then how could we expect to follow a rule of thirds each and every time?

Though we may not want to do so for each occasion, in this case I would forget the golden rule and go with what looks right. In my opine would be this is a very good image just the way you have it.

My 2¢. Well, maybe 10¢

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!