Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser and dual core - OS change also needed

infinity10 opened this issue on Sep 26, 2006 · 28 posts

FSMCDesigns posted Wed, 27 September 2006 at 7:05 PM

Quote -  Sticking my bit in......I see nobody has mentioned AM2 and DDR2 Memory yet?

Al.

AM2 is just a type of socket for the CPU and DDR2 a type of memory, neither of which play as much of a role as what is discussed above. Technically if/when POSER is released as a 64 bit version will we be able to throw more power at it. Memory plays a big part in POSER (and proper coding in the app) and you are severly limited in that aspect by a 32 bit environment..

The 64-bit CPUs can handle more memory and larger files. "The advantage of 64 bits is it gives you a larger address space, which means it lets you address more memory," Krewell says. Today's 32-bit Intel and AMD chips can address up to 4GB of memory (an Apple G4 unit can address 2GB).

A 64-bit processor, on the other hand, can address up to 16 Terabytes of memory .  Imagine the textures you can load with that!

I run 2 rigs with Poser, one a high end, dual core 4800+ /2 gig rig and there is a big difference in performance with dual core. It does well, but i still get memory errors wirth renders which is why I rarely use it as a renderer, it is just coded badly. I can render scenes 3 times as complex in Carrera pro in way less time.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page