Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Article in German c't magazine on forthcoming copy protection & CuriousLabs

MartinC opened this issue on Apr 24, 2001 ยท 134 posts

ookami posted Tue, 24 April 2001 at 1:49 PM

1. Yes, you need a new unlock code for each seperate machine. Each seperate machine? So, for instance, I have it on ONE removeable hard drive that I use in 2 machines - my work machine and my home machine. If it writes the code to the hard drive... which code does it read? Does this mean it will only work on one machine now? 2. No, you can reinstall the software on the same machine as many times as you want, without needing to enter the original code at all. It stores this information on your hard drive the first time, and will read it each time you reinstall. What if the hard drive blows up? New code? What if you install a new version of Windows? New code? What if you use disk compression? New code? No code? What if you move the hard drive to a new machine? New code? What if you then stick the hard drive back in the original machine? New code? Sorry... it's just alot of extra headaches for us legitimate users. And you know it's probably going to take oh.... about an hour or so for some 12-year-old pimply faced whiz kid to crack it anyway. Then it goes back up on the warez sites... but the legitimate customers have to suffer through greater burdens.... WHERE DOES THE INSANITY END?!