Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Article in German c't magazine on forthcoming copy protection & CuriousLabs

MartinC opened this issue on Apr 24, 2001 ยท 134 posts

Jim Burton posted Tue, 24 April 2001 at 6:37 PM

Storm- Are you saying that you would rather have "need the CD in the drive" protection? I sort of have a problem with that, my last couple of computers have had CD drives that make a horable racket at times, as they wind up to 40X or so. But I do very much agree with "The first question one has to ask is if any of the people sharing and burning copies of Poser directly with each other are ever going to be real customers and purchase Poser in the first place?" Exactly- warez dosen't mean lost sales in I'd guess 90% of the cases, at the very least- they would never buy the software anyway. The very, very best plan would be to make Poser a good value for the money- a worthwhile improvement over Poser 4, with a really good manual (which the warez guys wouldn't get). Also they really aught to do special offers for upgrades to regestered versions - Poser 4 only cost me $100, if I recall, because I had Poser 2 (I skipped 3), this leaves the warez kiddies out in the cold. However, the industry trend seems to be do new versions with minimal improvements (Microshaft is a prime example, Adobe is doing pretty well along this line too) at maximum prices - Adobe has, for example, in effect dropped the upgrade academic pricing, it cost the same as a new copy.