Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Going Retro(V2)

BillyGoat opened this issue on Oct 05, 2006 · 39 posts

arcady posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 12:07 AM

Quote - is it just me, or did more people make original morphs for v2?  it seems as if back in v2's day, "character" (free or commercial) meant custom morph, not a few dials spun.

Yeah...

I'm in the crowd that prefers V3 and especially Aiko 3...

But I agree on the above. Dial spins does not make a valid product. Anyone who sells something that is just dial spins should be ashamed of themselves.

A character is a custom morph. Free or not, at least be original.

V3 and A3 are actually -easier- to custom morph than V1 or V2 or Possette - not because of any polygon count or location issue, but because the tools used to make morphs have gotten better. I have Carrara 1 and 5 and believe me, 5 makes it a lot easier to make a new morph...

And other tools are even easier. Some of them even free.

It is just that the community momentum has changed. Somewhere between 2000 and 2003 the Poser community changed. It got very commercial, and everybody wanted in. To get in at the ground floor, people good at spinning dials realized other people would pay them to spin the dials...

These days you can buy a dial spin, a preapplied texture, a pre-set pose, a preset scene, preset lighting, and even a camera angle, and then hit the render button. Take that, post it in the gallery here at renderosity, and get all your friends to say "wow, that's amazing, you have so much talent" when the only thing you ever did was hit the render button, you didn't even so much as position the camera...

So yeah, a character is not a dial spin... Not in my opinion.

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery