Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Going Retro(V2)

BillyGoat opened this issue on Oct 05, 2006 · 39 posts

kobaltkween posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 5:48 PM

i like almost all of the figures i have to some extent. and i have a lot of stuff for v2.  i always feel i should use her more.  i have some characters i love for her - josi by handspan studios for instance- that i should give a chance more frequently.  with smoothing, i really don't find much quality difference between v2 and v3, other than the products i have for the latter and not the former. 

cool snape!  the only thing that seems a bit off to me is the eyes...

on the characters thing- i can see both sides.   i definitely know how much time can go into customization of a figure.  and without distribution, i wouldn't really care about what they're called.  but i don't feel as a product a dial spin is a "character".  that's a face pose, or a injection pose (with or without a texture).  often, i see products call themselves "morphs" when all they are is actually settings using someone else's morphs.   personally, i'd like that to be more clear.   though, i'lll admit, the only ones that actually annoy me about this is the ones that are basically cat eyes, big lips, and huge breasts as trekkiegrrl mentioned.

new morphs extend the use of a character.  someone else's dial settings have proven pretty much completely useless to me.  and i like to know what i'm buying.  for instance, if that snape were being sold as a face pose alone, i'd never buy it, because i have no snape renders planned (i don't like harry potter at all, and yes i know that's sacrilige.  does it count if i loved rickman in "something the lord made"?).  but if it included special realistic alan rickman eye morphs, i'd be very interested, because i would definitely use them in lots of images.  they'd have to be ones i didn't believe i could get by dialling, but there's a whole range of eyeshaping noone's touched.

for instance, bagginsbill is a master of the material room.  but he doesn't claim to distribute a render engine, or even textures.  does that make his efforts less?  of course not.  it just makes him clear about what he's handing out. 

the shift to injection pose as a barrier makes a lot of sense.