Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser is for Perverts?

Robo2010 opened this issue on Sep 22, 2006 · 268 posts

laslov posted Sat, 14 October 2006 at 11:29 PM

Hi Jon,

That's quite insightful what you said there. Although I never thought of CG as another medium, I think that likening it to photography is right on target. It is a new technology that offers a chance for people to express themselves and their vision. I can go along with that.

Long ago I used to teach art history. One thing that is striking about art history is that originally there was no distinction between artists and non-artists (cavemen all painted, even medieval church frescoes were painted by all monks together, etc.).  The Renaissance, with its technical sophistication created the true division between artists and non-artists.

What I fancy with CG (and especially Poser) is that it may well erase this technical gap and allow those who are artistically inclined to express themselves at a level that is on par with schooled artists. Thus, your analogy with the camera is correct – photography indeed can enable someone to create artistic value without a formal training.

(In a way of disclosure: I am the Marketing Director of e frontier and as such responsible for charting future directions of its software development). You see, it helps me to get up in the morning and think that my work is important because it may help people to regain something that was lost - their capacity for artistic expressions. If this sounds too self-important, please have my apologies.

Laslo