Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: About the poser protection

3-DArena opened this issue on Apr 25, 2001 ยท 39 posts

tbsro posted Wed, 25 April 2001 at 12:11 PM

Guess what? Dongles don't work either. I was searching for .3ds on Altavista the other day looking for furniture files to use with Poser and guess what I ran across. A warez website with 3D Studio Max and a crack to eliminate the need for the dongle. I don't know if it worked or not, I didn't download it, and since the site was on Geocities I sent them a mail about a warez site on their servers and the site has been taken down, but I can imagine hackers could find a way to crack any and every possible measures that any software company takes. Sure, it might make it harder, but it won't make it impossible. The new Poser will be up on warez board 3 days after release instead of the same day. What's the difference? We're all going to have to pay a higher price to buy Poser because of hackers anyway. I don't know what I would do about the situation if I was them, but I CERTAINLY wouldn't add any frustration to my users. That's one sure way not to sell anything. People like convenience, and if they can't get it, they're going to go somewhere else. And if they can't find it somewhere else, I'm sure CL is going to have to hire a HUGE new taskforce for their tech support, which will cost so much it will probably defeat any extra sales they manage to pull from would-be pirates. LadySilverMage, I completely agree with you, I think that any "sales" that are lost to hackers would never be "sales". Our neighbor's kid when we lived in an apartment used to stand out on their patio talking to his friends about all the "warez" he had, and 99% of them he downloaded and never used. He just got them to say he had them and impress his hacker friends. He never in a million years would have bought Poser, and I think that most people who seriously want Poser to use, and especially to use professionaly, are going to buy it anyway. I bet that anyone who downloads Poser from a warez site uses it to play around, and gets bored with it in a few weeks anyway. More than likely they could have gotten the same use from the free 30 day trial. But you're totally right, I bet anyone who downloads it never would have bought it anyway, because they couldn't afford it. And they still wouldn't have bought it, even if it wasn't out there for free. Whatcha wanna bet CL sees no real increase in sales due to the new measures? I'd LOVE to see the statistics on THAT one!