Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How many of you remember 'EdgeNet' (pre Renderosity) ?

BillyGoat opened this issue on Oct 15, 2006 · 33 posts

Hawkfyr posted Wed, 18 October 2006 at 9:20 PM

Yeah...Those certainly were the days.lol

Other than UseNet,there really were no other sites dedicated to Poser.It's my recollection that PFO was pretty much the first one.

The Online stores were introduced as a way to offset the server cost's and bandwidth to keep the site going as it grew. Back then, there was no store, and folks were more than willing to split the costs of their wares if it meant keeping the site alive.

I'm sure a few with a vision for business realized that there was a potential to make money above and beyond what the server and bandwidth cost's were. as well as a way for artists(Now Vendors) to not only make a few extra bucks, but make a living at it if they were talented enough.

But in the beginning, the store concept was more about making sure the site wouldn't close down due to financial difficulties.

As with pretty much everything else, once money is entered into the equation, everything changes.

And Change it did!

It snowballed,and seemed to take on a life of its own.(Especially once the software developers started seeing the membership numbers growing, and the advertising potential)

To say whether that change was for the better, of for the worse,would likely depend directly on the individual, and perhaps whether he or she is on the receiving end of the money. Some say...That to Not purchase from the store... is to Not support the site. I don't happen to agree with that. After all, by our own particular means, we've all contributed to the site in one way or another.

Helping out in forums, writing tutorials, Offering Free Stuff,(Then called "Fun Stuff" way back when IIRC), Moderating and Coordinating Forums, Writing Reviews, Testing Products, Developing Scripts,Plug-in's, Add-on's and Software,testing the Site's Software, or simply just helping to put out fires,can all be ways of contributing to this site.

But all things considered,I think the introduction of the store,was a good thing,(As well as a necessary thing) for the membership,vendors, as well as the site owners, and software developers. The site owners provide a resource for artists/vendors to sell products that they probably wouldn't have otherwise,and the developers are provided a platform to advertise their products to thousands of like minded hobbyists and professionals.

When S**T hit the fan,and folks started other sites, it managed to create a competitive environment, which was also of good thing.

Although there were some stormy times that followed that. It's good to see, that most of the sites have managed to put aside that old animosity, and now even help watch each-other's backs.(Like pointing out copyright violations they have found out on the web ,or agreeing to not hold the same contests or promotions at the same time,to name just a couple of examples).

To see that these resources not only still exist,but thrive, has been an amazing thing to participate in, and watch unfold over the past several years.

(nearly a decade now)

Everyone can take comfort in the knowledge that they participated, and contributed in one way or another, to make sure these resources are here for the folks who are just now getting into the game.

Even those who came later brought something to the table.

As I said before, it's been an amazing thing to watch happen.

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”