Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: About the poser protection

3-DArena opened this issue on Apr 25, 2001 ยท 39 posts

PJF posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 3:15 AM

clsteve wrote: >>>>>>>>>>>>>> You are not beholden to us any more than any other consumer in any other arena. <<<<<<<<<<<<<< This is just not true, and it takes about five milliseconds to realise it. To utilise your forthcoming product in a manner which is normal and legal (hardware fiddling and using the product on new machines), I must contact and 'get permission' from Curious Labs. I have never had to do this with any other software. In other arenas, it is notable that Ford and other car companies have repeatedly been taken to court (and lost) in Europe after various attempts to rope their customers into making use of their service facilities alone. It was regarded as restrictive trading practise to make the customer beholden to the company after they'd paid their money and driven off the forecourt. The only choice re being beholden a potential consumer of your forthcoming product has is to either buy it or not. Unless, of course, you are a consumer of the Poser Pro Pack. In that case, if you want your previous purchase to be fit for the use intended (i.e. work properly), you are now obliged to become beholden to Curious Labs and subject to the whim of their protection system - not something that was a requirement upon purchase. I'm no lawyer, but it strikes me you are on very dodgy legal ground with this. I'm not sure about Curious Labs, but I have absolutely no doubt that Microsoft will cynically abuse their supposed anti piracy protection system to attempt to rope customers into permanent use of their product. They will likely end up in court for doing so, and it will be very interesting to see if any verdict has implications for these other protection systems. Keep that 'end of the line' patch handy, it might be needed sooner than you think. ;-)