Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: About the poser protection

3-DArena opened this issue on Apr 25, 2001 ยท 39 posts

davidrow posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 8:41 AM

sigh 'This wonderful new copy protection idea will make our program uncopiable...' If it does, it will be the first one ever to do this. Those who ignore history will be trampled by it... Guys, been there, done that. A number of times over the last 25 in the IT industry. Each time one of these new schemes came out, a few months later methods were being shared that got around them - software, cracks, whatever. Even ignoring the impractibility of the copy protection itself, why on earth should I pay good money on a product that then screws me around when I change my computer configuration? Not to mention the (likely) possibility of happily writing data onto 'unwritable' areas of my hard disk. So that if your so-wonderful copy protection screws up other software on my machine, I cant even get rid of it... Can you spell 'lawsuit', people?? And of course you or your UK subsiduary ARE registered under the UK data protection act, arent you? No? Oh dear, then you're breaking the law. And being unable to get rid of the software is also illegal under new UK consumer regulation...and I understand the Germans arent too happy about your ideas either... But I'm sure that's ok, after all the world ends outside the US, doesn't it... Yes, as you may have noticed, I will NOT be buying anything from you that requires this silly registration nonsense (no, I onwt buy Windows XP for the same reason). Nor will I recommend it - in fact, I will do the opposite. It's a pity, because I consider Poser to be excellent, and good value - but I wont buy something that makes me dependent on this type of registration. Please remember, there was a REASON software companies went away from copy protection in the '80's. It was because people hated it, and wouldn't buy software with it. Or do you think we are all gullible enough to fall for it this time around? I assure you we aren't...