Forum: Community Center

Subject: Rules unclear and unfair

Primal opened this issue on Oct 23, 2006 · 732 posts

CaptainJack1 posted Thu, 26 October 2006 at 11:23 AM

Quote - Well, actually I READ every word of this thread...the term "inoffensive" can have a much broader meaning than the narrow one you have chosen to apply.

Well, my unabridged dictionary of English actually has two definitions for "inoffensive", and seven for "offensive". Regardless of the number, my statement is still true. The image was not pulled because it was offensive. I haven't seen it, I can't say for sure whether I would find the image offensive or not, which is irrelevant in any case. Let me rephrase my statement, to try to make it clearer: The reason the image was pulled had nothing to do with whether anyone thought it was or was not offensive. The word offensive, in any of it's meanings, does not apply in any way to the reasons why the image was pulled. The image was pulled for reasons that are in no way related to its propensity for causing offense or it's inherent offensive nature, if any. Does that help? If the word "offensive" had a meaning of "covered in blue polka dots", it still would not have applied to the reason why the image was pulled.

Quote - Sorry, but it IS the job of the moderators/coordinators to handle a matter such as this in a serious manner...several of them have stated repeatedly in this thread (as well as in the past threads) that...{assumes serious voice} these situations are discussed as a team, fairly & seriously (dare I say "professionally"?), behind the scenes and a consensus "vote" is taken. {ends serious voice} Yet the public demeanor & remarks of some of these same people in this thread reflects nothing but joking around and a total lack of seriousness. If I were Primaltruck, it would make me wonder if that's the way matters such as these are actually handled behind the scenes...lots of jokes, wisecracks and mockery (like the kindergarden you mentioned, perhaps?)...despite their claims to the contrary... To my sensibility, NOT very professional behavior and not how the representatives of this site should be behaving... but this is nothing new...in fact, NONE of this is new...the situation, the behavior, comments like yours...

Oh, crap. The matter has been handled in a professional manner. And, in my opnion, an unbelievable amount of patience and self control. All of the jokes and humor (from the mods and coordinators) have been about unrelated issues in response to unrelated comments by other members. My jokes, humor, barbs, and sarcasm, have all been directed elsewhere, of course. My privilege, because I'm not charged with maintaining order and decorum 'round here. I suspect that what you're accusing them of is really that they didn't pat the poor boy on the head and go, "there, there, we're so sorry we hurt your feelings".

I'm still not quite sure why you're taking pot-shots at them. Forum moderators in most places have to maintain a certain neutrality which prevents them in most cases from venting their own personal feelings.

Sure, none of it is new. I've been seeing this sort of temper tantrum followed up by goggle-eyed group hugs from people who think the forum moderators are evil and insensitive demons since I got my first modem back in the 80's. My guess is that you think primaltruck's outrage, as well as your outrage, is perfectly justified, and that I'm in the wrong somehow for reacting the way that I have. It probably doesn't occur to you that I'm every bit as outraged at the public display of childishness that started this thread off. "Comments like mine" aren't new, and will continue to arrive; many of them will continue to come from me.

Quote - ...people either have their eyes open or their eyes closed...

Which, to my ears, sounds like you might as well be saying, "people either agree with me, or their wrong". I'll save other people the trouble and go ahead and interject that I'm being arrogant, and probably worse. But i don't think other people are wrong for believing what they believe. I don't think you're wrong, I don't think primaltruck is wrong. I don't like the way he acted, which is my opinion only. I've jumped in several times to provide factual data to people who appear to be misinformed or are confusing their opinions with factual data.

My eyes are fully wide open, and I can see quite clearly from hear. Probably more than you realize. 😄

Captain Jack