Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I never thought there was actually a bias towards Poser until...

johnnysac5 opened this issue on Oct 26, 2006 · 78 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Fri, 27 October 2006 at 2:47 PM

Yes, anyone can learn Maya - but that doesn't change the learning curve.  I didn't just make that up - it is well known that it has the steepest learning curve of any 3D CG application.

And the reason is that Maya is geared directly towards a studio environment - not personal use.  If I had gone to this interview, and said that I use Poser, Vue 5 Infinite, Carrara, Bryce, D|S, Lightwave, Cinema 4D Studio, and so on - they'd probably still say the same thing.  Their loss and I wouldn't go to an interview where the expectation is for software not in my experience.  If they didn't make that known (Must have Maya experience), that is THEIR fault - not the poor interviewee's.

Laughing under these circumstances isn't exactly warranted, but we'd need more information to make a determination.

And I agree that Poser isn't up there with the big boys - but some restraint and humility might be in order for the interviewers here.  I remember that after HS, I was going to go to Art college - the interviewer laughed at me for not having the source of funds (and not even recommending scholarships or student loans).  Since then, I've mastered EM enginering/design/drafting, computer programming in several languages, computers in general, electric and classical guitar, self-taught in Physics and a variety of college-level mathematics, etc.  Remember the kid in "The Incredibles" - this is something of what happens when a-holes laugh at people out of ridicule.  They either go commit suicide or they found Microsoft and squash their detractors. ;)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone