Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I never thought there was actually a bias towards Poser until...

johnnysac5 opened this issue on Oct 26, 2006 · 78 posts

Gareee posted Sat, 28 October 2006 at 1:59 PM

Part of what a lot of people aren't "getting" is that there are a LOT of industry standards that are required for higher end CGI production.

In many studios you NEED Maya, Photoshop, (insert the package name here.).

Yeah, cheaper software is getting better, and in a lot of cases, you can work wonders with it, but just try to render higher resolution animations film frames in poser for a feature release.

(And wait for the next 5 years for it to render!)

I love poser. Its very cool for whatit does. I used to use paint shop pro a lot.. and then I learned additional tools in photoshop I can no longer live without.

Bottom line in studio work, is you need to work with the tools THEY use, and braging you are excellent in a hobbiest tool won't get you any props at all.

And laughing at someone who uses a hobbiest tool in any job application doesn't surprise me at all. Imagine someone applying for a high end commercial painting job, but presenting crayon drawings as their portfolio, when they expect to see acrylic photo real paintings.

Or imagine someone applying for a construction job, and bring in their lincoln log house.

When yu apply for a pro job, they expect you to be conversant with pro tools, and also to be presenting them in your portfolio. They also expect you to KNOW which tools are pro quality level, and discussing your expertise in them, not hobbiest tools.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.