Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I never thought there was actually a bias towards Poser until...

johnnysac5 opened this issue on Oct 26, 2006 · 78 posts

billy423uk posted Mon, 30 October 2006 at 4:56 PM

Maya is not the benchmark by which all studios work.  Just give it up!

who said it was? i said that in the main the industry sandards are high end apps wich include maya max and others. and if you ran a cg house and hired someone who only knew poser you wouldn't be very good at your job. you need to stop perpetuating the myth that being able to use poser will get you a job in cg. it may get you a little work on the side but it won't get you a job with a reputable studio. the thread isn't about hiring work out to riggers etc, it's about getting a job in a cg house or studio. and while you say for many studio maya or max etc isn't the only program they use. you youi don't say they don't use it at all. if you run a studio that does use a high end app as well as some low end ones, you don't set your bench mark for hiring as the low end app. (unless your a fool)  its usually,...experienced in maya or max with a working knowledge of vue, deepuv,lw etc. i doubt someone who only ever worked in maya would get a job either. except as a modeller. too many people know to many apps to pick someone who just knows poser and lets say bryce.

most good modellers who use maya or max could work efficiently in either after a week or two and probably already know how to get around many other apps. that cant be said of most poser users. unless of course you disagree. people who use max or maya have usually used a number of apps including low end ones. many progressed to the high end apps from using low end apps. often including poser.

we're not talking about hobbyist here who sell and make money through poser items we're talking about bona fide skilled trades people and people who have gone to college to become a skilled tradesperson in a given field. at the beginning when the industry was young you may have got away with knowing a bit of this or that and riding the seat of your pants but you wont do it now unless you work for yourself.. and i admit some skilled trades people may make cash through poser.

so i say to you....just give it up...no i won't cos thats a purile statement. and sorry but you don't sound confrontational you sound like  you're living in an alternate reality. to get work in a cg house or studio you need  to have what they need. they don't need poser. to imply they do is a real perpetuation of a myth

billy