Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 7 hype.... and reality

Leonardis opened this issue on Nov 04, 2006 · 56 posts

tekn0m0nk posted Mon, 06 November 2006 at 12:15 AM

Quote - Infinite undos?  Name one application (in existence) that allows 'infinite undos'.  Even the PROFESSIONAL, HIGH_PRICED (as in, I spent several thousand dollars) applications don't deliver that dream-state of a vision.  Good luck.  Have fun.  Snap out of it!

Well if you define 'infinite' as 'to the limit of available RAM' (which is what i think the OP meant) then many apps do have this feature. Not that im complaining of course, cause anything more then single undos is all for the better IMVHO :p

Anyway what i find strange is why some people are so gung ho about animation in poser... The fact is poser is not and has never been an animation app (no matter what they market it as) It has always been an artist's 'dummy'/ref app, sorta the virtual equivalent of the wooden ones you can buy in art shops. Its primary market, as EF well know, is tills/illustration, and you dont have to take my word for this either... A quick look around will show you that for every anim clip done in poser, there are 1000s of stills. So to expect them to abandon their userbase and suddenly switch to RnD in animation is kinda naive IMO. Remember that after all EF are a relatively minor player in the 3D industry, and they sell poser at a very low price to a conservative userbase. So they will think twice before taking any kind of major risk in the features they add/change.

Plus its not like you cant get awesome animation apps for cheap these days. Blender, a very decent little animation tool is free to download. XSI foundation at $499 has animation tools that make even Maya and MAX break out in cold sweats. For a little more you can get Lightwave, another very well rounded app that doesnt cost the earth. And if you only wanna do the anims for fun or learning, you can get free or educational versions of every major pro app for pennies like XSI mod tool, Maya PLE, Houdini apprentice etc (all 3 of which can be freely downloaded from the respective sites). If anyone is serious about animation, then these are the apps they should be aiming for cause not only are they quite capable, but they make animation fun and intuitive. There is no point in struggling with poser for this.