Forum: Community Center

Subject: Username Change Feature???

Chippsyann opened this issue on Nov 06, 2006 · 243 posts

MikeJ posted Tue, 07 November 2006 at 10:47 AM

Someone said,
"I highly doubt that the price is a manpower thing.  It's likely that the price is to dissuade people not to do this willy nilly to hide their identity after saying/doing bad things."

I don't know about that. far as I can tell, most of the stuff offered here for a cost is because they're hoping to cash in on it.
Something caused it - it doesn't seem like someone just pulled this idea out of their arse....
I figure alot of people sign up here with...whatever as a name. before long, alot of them see the MP and the amount of crud...I mean stuff which passes as...I mean becomes available for sale in the MP.
So, they say, 'hey, I have Poser and photoshop! I can do that!"
...but then they realize their username is "dungbeetle23", and think that maybe that's not the greatest for business...
...so they send an IM to an admin asking if their nick can be changed. Yeah, you can get a new account for free, but what they want is for everything currently attached to their old nick to follow along..gallery, join date, and so on.
So, this happens a few times (maybe many times) and suddenly a light bulb goes off in someone's head:
We can make money off this!!!
And there was much rejoicing...a Front page article, and, voila, there you are.

Not like this is significant or anything, but when Russ was webmaster here, back in '02 (somewhere around there) he did it for me for free...on request, and it took him all of 5 minutes, if that.