Forum: Community Center

Subject: Username Change Feature???

Chippsyann opened this issue on Nov 06, 2006 · 243 posts

TerraDreamer posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 9:24 AM

Quote - All this talk of multiple accounts and half a million members makes me wonder just how many of these accounts have been accessed in the last, say, month.... six months... year... etc. Now that would give a better idea of the 'active' membership. Would Admin care to publish the figures?

You know, you raise a very good point here.  Now I know where you're going with this, and I agree, but I'll look at it from the standpoint of site performance.  I can't help but wonder if 200,000 inactive accounts were deleted overall site performance would improve.  Although it would keep people from commenting and rating their own work or perhaps having conversations with themselves on-line, and because of that, some may fall into a deep state of depression.

Just wondering.

As far as alias changing, I find the whole thing ridiculous.  It's amazing how romantic -*and foolishly cool *-people try to get with their screen names: BloodStone, FoxyGurl69, KrystalMoon, GluSniffer521, MystyRhaine, CrimsonGonads...TerraDreamer, etc.  I mean really, does it matter in the grand scheme of things what the hell it is you call yourself?  The difference between the screen names CrimsonGonads and KrystalMoon is zilch; it's a freaking screen name, nothing else.  Who the hell is going to put either on a business card?  And changing your alias won't make you a better artist or less of an asshole if you've been one recently!  That precisely why I've never changed mine :)

It would appear some people spend as much time massaging their aliases as they do their private parts.

As far as charging people for the service, go for it, Rendo!  Charge them up the wazzu!  You're a business; you're supposed to make money off the backs of these people!

And while you're at it, delete inactive accounts to help de-bloat your user database.