Forum: Community Center

Subject: Username Change Feature???

Chippsyann opened this issue on Nov 06, 2006 ยท 243 posts

anathandra posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 12:48 AM

Quote - hawkfyr just threw the logic at you people. This is going to be intresting....

First of all, being called "you people"...don't go there. Ok? Second of all...Logic? A lack of understanding about anything posted by the person he quoted (who is sitting next to me and is not me, for anyone who might have weird ideas--I understand there were some weird ideas after the other night) and a total misunderstanding of what the person he quoted was referring too. That I get from his post, but logic? For one thing, he proved no point whatsoever and only added to the noise. When noise is considered logic, something is dreadfully wrong. That and changing the font colors and adding the bold in there was bad netiquette. Actually, unless you're screaming, using them in your own posts like I see him doing is bad netiquette. Makes it hard to read for one. I tend to get an instant headache. Like, say, now. Maybe I can help you understand what was going on in the post hawfyr quoted? There was a statement made in the previous pages that the freebies were being offered by Renderosity. That is what he objected to. Most appear to just be links to the files on the posters' own websites, with Renderosity hosting just an image. Even the bandwidth used to distribute them is being provided by the generous users who choose to offer them. What Renderosity does to support those freebies is almost negligible by comparison, yet they claimed credit for them in this very thread. Does that seem right to you? Now, the other thing that was referred to: Other places make name changes free because all you really should have to do is make one field change in a database. In other places, that user name field is editable by the users after signup. Just like addresses and email addresses are and other information that is subject to change. It's a simple bit of code to put that field in the profile settings. The size of the user base is irrelevant. All it comes down to is the way the database is structured. If it is not structured in a way that will allow this...if it is not normalized and cleanly coded, I mean...then it is a bad database and in need of serious overhaul. I honestly shouldn't have looked back here. I told myself I wouldn't. And some little imp said, "go look." That's my big mistake. I didn't know how childish things were going to get. rolls eyes Neferset