Forum: Community Center

Subject: Rules unclear and unfair

Primal opened this issue on Oct 23, 2006 · 732 posts

JenX posted Fri, 17 November 2006 at 6:24 AM

well, Jack, again, even looking at the word "community", I'm going to play the devil's advocate again.  In your offline communities, such as the city you live in, etc, you may have a voice, but that doesn't mean it's going to be listened to.  And there are rules, lots of arbitrary ones I might add, that not everyone agrees on.  There are rules to be followed in every community....so why would an online community be different?  Your city had its' rules.  As does your state.  As does every workplace, store, etc. 
There's a bar that my sister and I go and sing karaoke in.  We used to compete, but have since been told that it's not fair (especially since we don't drink first).  We still go there, even after being asked not to sing.  Why?  The bartender is awesome.  The waitresses and waiter (yes, there's one) are the friendliest people you'd ever meet.  Most of the other customers are the most fun people to hang out with.  That bar, in and of itself, has its' own "community".  But they're also a private business.  We were asked to change what we did there, and did as they asked, because otherwise it would be either akward, or we wouldn't be welcome there anymore. 
Any business can set its' rules and keep them firm.  Even one billed as a "community".  Community doesn't mean "the people decide".  A community is somewhere where people get together for similar purposes.  Whether that be gettting completely hammered and singing horrible versions of "Come on Eileen" or discussing and creating art. 
We do get feedback from time to time, and change our policies according to that feedback.  Not always, but it happens.  Sometimes, people are happy (changing the price of the NameChange service).  Sometimes, people are not (the almost-2-year-old child image guidelines).  In life, you make a decision.  People will either like your decision or hate it.  It's the nature of human nature ;)

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.