Forum: Bryce

Subject: OK, one goes to Daz and buys a scene setup

chohole opened this issue on Nov 22, 2006 · 19 posts

rickymaveety posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 1:26 PM

Chohole,

I bought several of the rooms (the Study, the Ballroom, etc), and have been tweaking and modifying the textures right, left and sideways.  I'm altering the layouts, doing all sorts of stuff.  But, not for resale, obviously.

If you question is, do you have to credit DAZ for your completed artwork??  No, you don't.  No more than you would have to credit the paint company for the paint you used on a canvas.  The eventual artwork that results from the use of their materials and textures is yours.  You can sell your artwork if you like with no problem.

But, what you can't do is repackage their models and textures and sell that as your own.  That's the copyright violation.  It is not ... repeat not .... a violation to use the model or the texture in your artwork, render it, and call it your own.  The final artwork IS your own.

To give you a better example, if you use a Poser figure in the scene, that doesn't make the work of art that results copyright of Poser.  Same thing with the static models.  They are just props.  You are still putting the work into the arrangement and lighting and other work that makes it an art piece.

Now, there is a reason that we should give credit here .... and that is to help other artists learn where they can purchase the models and etc, and to help DAZ and other companies keep going so that they can create more goodies for us.

So .... long winded answer, I know, but if it's posting in your "gallery" .... go for it.  If it's posting even a portion of it as a freebie or for purchase, don't even think about it.

Could be worse, could be raining.