Forum: Bryce

Subject: OK, one goes to Daz and buys a scene setup

chohole opened this issue on Nov 22, 2006 · 19 posts

Conniekat8 posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 9:13 PM

Quote - A complete scene that is, all 125mb of it.

Well it was a steal at plat club prices.

Can one in all honesty just alter it a wee bit, add a couple of elements and then post it in the gallery under ones own name?

Just a hypothetical question (at present)

One can always say, ooooh, my it;s beauuuutiful, it looks so much like something else I've seen... I'm having brainfats where...  Did you model it all by yourself too?

I mean heck, one can say, why use help of the computer to create 3D art? Why not paint it on canvas - or somesuch thing...  Where does one draw the line?

How about collages? Collage is an art form too. Lot of images on rendo end up being collages of models and textures acquired elsewhere.

I gather some people may feel that their work is not being noticed because of availability of other material (content)...  If you're good at comething, keep at it, and you'll get noticed. Trying to limit what others do only takes away from the time you could spend honing your own skills.

Trying to control what others do is almost always a losing battle, mainly because it's a simple game of numbers. There's only ONE of you, and MANY MANY of them.  So, unless they're doing something to harm you directly... Like taking your artwork and claiming it as theirs, let them be.

You can always put a person on the spot and say, WOW, that's cool, did you model and texture it from scratch too? Plus, people get tired of looking at the same ole thing, so after the 10th time they've seen that really cool latest DAZ model in someone's rendering, it will stop catching their eye, and people will know rather quickly the 'artist' didn't model it themselves.

That still doesn't mean that the rendered piece may not have other merits.

*Basically about 75% of the finished image is not my own work, which is very unusual for me.  It is just that the scene (magnificent mountains) is a great scene, especially for $1.99  but it  feels like cheating to me.

My normal landscape images are done by me from start to finish, and usually take a week or more of tweaking before I am halfway happy with them.*

Different people have different interests and aptitudes.  We all need to make sure we don't judge people's work by our own standards, but by the goals they set for themselves.  Did they achieve what they set out to do is the question we should be asking. Not - did they do what I would do in their place, or what I think they should be doing.

And if you want to let people know, you can always make mention what other models you used in your work. I mean, just about all of us on rendo know how it works, some you model, some you buy, some are freebies... some of use so many different sources, we forget where things came from - I know I do.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support