Forum: Vue

Subject: creating my own vue vim files for environment mapping

mat_neaves opened this issue on Oct 18, 2006 ยท 14 posts

henrytj posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 8:05 PM

I have a question similar to this and not sure if I should start a new thread or add it here. I will try adding it here first before starting a new thead.

I have read up some on HDRI light probe, HDRI Shop, etc. I understand that you need different exposure images to combine into a single HDRI image. Partly what I want to fo is to make some environment maps or ever light probes for other software (Like my C4D R8)

Okay, I have my old copy Vue 4 DESPrit. I notice i can do 360 degree panoramas. I also notice that there is an exposure setting in the light control panel. THe setting is normal by default, but can go 2 stops under or 2 stops over exposed. There are also some ambient light mixing controls that are a part of this. So... is there anything to gain by making 3 renders (Normal, +2 stops, and -2 stops) and combining them together in HDRI Shop (or PS CS2) to make an HDRI light probe image for use in other applications? If need be I can ever sety up a mirrored sphere and use the virtual camera to make my exposures as well (like what is done with real HDRI light probes.) Not sure if there is any advantage there either.

I know this will not be the exact same as a real world HDRI light probe, but would it be close enough in some way that it is worth doing.

BTW, I have done the panoramic thing with a single normal exposure render and used it as a JPEG (LDRI) envirenment map in C4D and it seem to work pretty good (transparent, reflection,s radiosity, etc.) What might I gain by going with a higher dynamic range image for lighting?

Attached is a sample render in C4D with a "environment" made from a single normal exposure render in Vue 4 DES. BTW, I use a black and whire version of the enviroment for the GI lighting and color version for the raytraced reflections and background. Otherwise the image tends to render blue from the sky color.