Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Larger than life ?

stahlratte opened this issue on Dec 02, 2006 · 130 posts

stahlratte posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 8:20 AM

"...are a very typical example of an engineer posing as artist i see occasionally."

I take that as a BIG compliment, because I´m proud to be a skilled craftsmen, not an "artist".  :-)

"The same sort of people who draw up facial feature 'maps' or spend years collecting stat data on beautiful people trying to reduce beauty to mathematical formulas. Sorry mate it doesn't work that way..."

Actually, it does:

http://www.beautyanalysis.com/index2_mba.htm

Sorry to bust your bubble, but the "mystery of beauty" has been nailed down, too.

I´m pretty much fed up with the "artistic" types who inflict their "vision" on others.
Yes, my dream would be a model 100% based on the laser scan of a human being, with no "artistic" modifications whatsoever.
Not necessarily "ideal", but just a good AVERAGE.
Nothing added to make it look more "pleasantly"
Just 100% raw reality.

As a modeller I treat the human shape absolutely no different than any other shape.
As a scale modeler  who builds prototypes, correct shape and dimensions are crucial.
If my model is a tiny fraction of an inch "off", it isn´t a realistic representation of reality.

IWhile humans come in different shapes, I again want to get the dimensions as accurately as possible.

What I want is an accurate representation of a human being, not someones elses "artistic vision" of it.
I don´t care that the masses have been brainwashed into accepting "artistic" exaggerations as normal.

Look at an old car leaflet of the 60´s.
The cars are shown completely distorted to make them look bigger, better, roomier and sexier.

You might prefer a 3d model of that car the way  it looks in that  exaggerated drawing, but I want to have a model that was made after the real cars blueprints, so that it is an accurate representaton of the real thing.

The artistic part comes AFTER the modelling is done.
By creating expressions and poses.
By creating an environment and using certain lights.
By telling a story.

THATS when the "art" starts.

Again, too many modellers think of themself as "artists" when they really should improve their "craft".

Cutting corners is not "aristic".

Stahlratte